Monday, October 6, 2014

Deep Dish Pizza Bites

 
By Coach Maria - Salus Nutritionist & Food Expert
 
My absolute favorite food has to be pizza.
 
I've always loved making different varieties of pizza - whether it's traditional pan pizza, pizza loaf, pizza pie, pizza nachos (uh...yes) or pizza muffins.
 
Unfortunately, the traditional, gluten-containing, cheese laden pizzas do not sit well with my digestion and leaves my gut feeling like I ate a 5-pound brick (not to mention what it can do to my waistline!).
 
Fortunately for me (and perhaps others that are trying to avoid gut-busting ingredients), I have clever little ways to satisfy my pizza cravings, without sabotaging my digestion or leaving me feeling bloated and uncomfortable.
 
Try these delectable mini deep dish pizza bites - you will love them!
 
Ingredients
serves 10
 
1 c tapioca flour
3 Tblsp coconut flour
3 Tblsp ground flax meal
1 egg
1/3 c coconut oil
1/3 c warm water
1 tsp baking powder
dash of sea salt
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
 
Choice of toppings:
My personal preferences:
Sugar free pizza sauce
Fresh mozzarella (omit if you do not consume dairy)* 
Fresh basil
Chorizo, prosciutto or a quality pepperoni*
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a bowl, combine ingredients from tapioca flour to flax meal.
Add water and mix until combined
Add coconut oil and egg - mix well
Grease muffin tins and pour pizza batter half way up the tin
Bake 8-10 minutes (insert a toothpick - it should come out clean)
Remove from oven, add desired toppings and bake another 5 minutes.
 
 
* I get most of these products at Caputo's Deli in Salt Lake. 
 
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
 
Protein:    12g
Carbs:        3g
Fat:           10g
Sugars:       1g
 
Nutritional information are estimates and may vary

No comments: