Monday, January 2, 2012

Perfectly Sauteed Cabbage

By:  Maria


While reaching into my fridge to grab some ingredients for dinner yesterday, I came across a head of cabbage that I neglected to use for a recipe I was putting together a few days ago (that's what I forgot to use!).  I didn't want the cabbage to go to waste, so I decided to quickly saute the cabbage to use for a breakfast side dish.  However, the cabbage turned out so tasty, we ended up eating it for dinner!
My only regret is that I won't have leftovers, but on the plus side, I now have a delicious, easy and quick way to prepare cabbage for any meal!

Ingredients
1 head of cabbage (I used green, but next time I will try purple cabbage), thinly sliced
4 slices uncured, no-nitrate/nitrite free range bacon
1 yellow onion, chopped
sea salt (I used an incredibly tasty Alaea Hawaiian sea salt)

Cook bacon in pan over medium heat. Set aside.  Using the bacon grease in the pan, throw in onion and cook until nicely browned - almost caramelized. Once onion is browned, throw in cabbage and salt.  Toss until completely coated and saute for 5-8 minutes. Turn heat down to low, cover pan and cook for another few minutes until cabbage is completely softened.  Finely chop bacon slices and throw into pan.  Mix.  Serve.

Enjoy.

No comments: