Thursday, January 5, 2012

Easy Slow Cooking Roast


Dependability.  Reliability.  Efficiency. 

These are words to describe by best friend in the kitchen - my Crock Pot!  Seriously, this thing has allowed me more time to spend with my family; to watch my kids sports and school events, it has made cooking meals effortless, it turns my recklessly-thrown-together ingredients into savory, fall-off-the-bone deliciousness that I would never have been able to get away with by using the oven!
Not a week goes by where I don't spend the entire day away from this home, walk into the kitchen after dark, only to be welcomed and rewarded by the wafting aromas of a home cooked meal.  How much effort does it usually take?  Before I head out the door in the morning, it takes me 10-15 minutes to toss all ingredients with reckless abandon into the crock pot (uh....no measuring required), press the button and boom - done! 
Yes, some meals might require a bit more prep work, but most simply do not.
Now, my problem is not whether or not I know how to cook - I LOVE to cook, but some days, I just can't find the time.
For those that have no clue how to function in a kitchen; this thing is
G-E-N-I-U-S!

The following recipe is probably my most favorite recipe when using chuck roast.  The spices used have evolved over time and I believe this is fantastic!  The combination seems odd at first glance, but DO NOT let it scare you - this is incredibly tasty and delicious.  Unfortunately for me, I usually have no leftovers (next time, I double this!).

Ingredients
2 to 2.5lb chuck roast (I used grass fed)
1 large red onion coarsely chopped
¾ cup water
1 tablespoon fat-of-choice (I used coconut oil)

For the rub:
½ teaspoon ground chipotle
1 teaspoon unsweetened organic cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon sea salt (I used Alderwood Smoked sea salt - yum!)
2 tablespoons fresh ground coffee beans
½ tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
1 tablespoon cumin

Mix spice rub ingredients together and combine well. Rub the entire spice mixture all over the roast really massaging it into the meat. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, add your fat of choice and sear the roast on all sides until it has developed a nice crust. About 2 minutes per side.




Chop up the red onion and place it in the bottom of your slow cooker (I like to saute my onions until they are a golden brown for added flavor, but it's not necessary!), rest the seared chuck roast on top.  Add ¾ cup of water and set to low and cook for 8 to 10 hours.


When finished cooking transfer the roast to a plate and allow to rest for 10 minutes (or, you can just let it sit in the crock pot after it's turned off). When ready to serve, take two forks and slowly pull apart the roast to shred the meat.



No comments: