Monday, January 30, 2012

Gluten-Free Pumpkin Muffins

By:  Maria


I love to cook and tweak recipes to make them healthier for my family.  I also love to bake - but what I love most is how they can never tell that the ingredients I use are devoid of gluten, sugars, highly processed and unhealthy industrial seed oils or partially hydrogenated anything
(um...I lied...some of my attempts at baked goods have turned out to be dense, brick-like disasters; but my family is generously forgiving!) 

Eating right does not have to mean never having treats or melt-in-your-mouth deliciousness that leave your senses happy.  By using the right ingredients, you can have the best of both worlds - baked goodness and a healthy gut!

Ingredients
1/2 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp allspice (leave out if you do not like flavor)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch of sea salt
1/2 c organic butter or coconut oil (I will use half ghee, half coconut oil - the flavor is mmm)
6 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c pumpkin puree
2 tblsp maple syrup
2 tblsp raw honey
1/2 cup Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate chips (gluten, dairy and soy free - check your local grocery store as well)  *optional add-in...but who wouldn't?!*

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.  Grease a standard muffin tray or use paper liners (paper works best).  Measure dry ingredients and mix.  Combine wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl together until well beaten.  Whisk dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until lumps in batter are gone.  Gently mix in chocolate chips.  Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tins and bake for approximately 15-18 minutes or until slightly golden brown on top and a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments: