Monday, January 23, 2012

Cauliflower Clusters

By:  Maria


Cauliflower has many uses.  So many, in fact, that I use this vegetable weekly,  but the way I prepare it is hardly the same from one meal to the next.  Some times, my family has no idea what they're eating - all they know is that it's tasty and they want a second helping.

This is one of those recipes. I had leftover pureed cauliflower from a meal and needed a quick and easy way to use the leftover (um....no....I NEVER waste leftover-anything!).
Try these and get creative with variations - add any ingredient you would like to these baked little clusters (hint: bacon) and you will want to make these over and over again.

P.S. - these are great right out of the oven, but I eat this cold, right out of the fridge and I love 'em!

Ingredients

1 head of cauliflower
1/4 c coconut milk
2 tblsp ghee
4 egg whites (I've also made these with 2 whole eggs)
sea salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Trim cauliflower into florets, place in a micro-steamer* and cook until tender.  Place tender cauliflower in food processor with coconut milk, ghee, salt and pepper. Process until the consistency of oatmeal (or, if you prefer, pureed smooth). 
Whip egg whites until stiff; gently fold into cauliflower puree.

Dump into pastry bag (or into a ziploc, with a corner snipped off large enough for puree - see picture below)


Squeeze small clusters onto greased cookie sheet.


Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.





*I use the micro-steamer (from pampered chef) ALL THE TIME!  It requires no water when you are steaming and the food comes out perfectly steamed/cooked.  You can micro-cook anything from veggies to fish to poultry.

2 comments:

Jennifer Zvirzdin said...

Mmmm... Sounds so good Maria! I have cauliflower in my fridge right now and I was wondering what to do with it today! ...Answer!

Maria said...

Awesome, Jennifer!