Thursday, March 1, 2012

Coconut Topped Lemon Bars

By:  Maria


I have tinkered with this one many times and I think it can finally be filed under my "mmmmm" category.
This looks and tastes like a dessert, but these little bars contain a whopping amount of protein from all the eggs (11 total!) and I feel no remorse when I grab one for breakfast - if they last that long (when I make these, it is rare we have any leftover!)

Ingredients

Crust ingredients1 cup almond meal
1 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon honey
3 eggs
2 tblsp coconut oil
2 tblsp coconut butter*
1/3 cup coconut milk

Filling ingredients
8 eggs
juice from 4 lemons (more if you like ultra lemon flavor)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)

In a bowl, mix together all the crust ingredients. When it's completely combined, press into the bottom of a greased 11x7 inch pan (I've made these in a 9x9 pan for a thicker lemon bar as well).

In another bowl wisk together all the filling ingredients except the dried coconut. Slowly pour this over the crust mixture. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Sprinkle the shredded coconut over the top while it's still hot - this is totally optional, but I love the finished presentation. Cool completely before serving.



*If you can't find coconut butter near you (they carry it @ Whole Foods, Harmon's & Bountiful Nutrition), you can just use coconut oil in it's place.  However, I would highly recommend trying the coconut butter for the recipe since the flavor is unsurpassed.  You can use coconut butter for all your baking needs - it's a tasty alternative to butter.

No comments: