Thursday, March 29, 2012

Cloud 9 Eggs

By:  Maria



I saw this recipe some time ago and knew I had to try duplicating it. I omitted some ingredients that were less than favorable and, in my opinion, needless. You can add/omit whatever ingredients you think may liven up your taste buds (my kiddos didn't want cilantro or scallions), but these ingredients are incredible!

Finding a good quality chorizo is a must. Caputo's Deli carries a great Spanish chorizo that I recommend. Sure, you could substitute with bacon (if you only like mediocre flavor - ahem), but you deserve better.

Ingredients
4 eggs, separated
2 ounces Chorizo
2 tblsp chopped cilantro
2 tblsp chopped scallions

Dice up chorizo into small pieces (I throw my chorizo into my food processor - it takes just a few pulses and it's done) and cook thoroughly. Set aside.
Meanwhile, beat the 4 egg whites until stiff. My food processor does this swiftly, but you can use a mixer (or, if you're hard core, use a fork!).
Fold in the chorizo, scallions and cilantro until combined (be gentle here). Add a pinch of salt and pepper. On a greased cookie sheet (if you don't grease pan, you'll have a stick-to-the-pan mess - trust me on this one! Use parchment paper instead, for easy clean-up!), place four spoonfuls of the egg white mixture at least 2 inches apart. Make a slight well in the center and gently place an egg yolk in each one.
Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 6 minutes. Keep a close eye on these. If you're like me and enjoy a runny yolk, you don't want to over cook these. If you prefer a soft cooked yolk, perhaps add an extra minute or two.







No comments: