Friday, February 25, 2011

Eye of The Tiger

What is it about training with a partner that makes you train hard and fast? We all know I have a trainer who kicks my butt three times a week. He’s amazing and one of the best trainers out there (besides me of course!). Today he decided to team me up with another trainer at the gym, who I believe to be at my same fitness level and working toward the same goals. As soon as we hit the weights, the competitive nature in me kicked into gear and something in my head ignited. “Denise, you will not stop. I don’t care if you’re going to pass out, you’re not stopping.” I’m living on fewer calories and eating the cleanest I’ve ever eaten, doing tons of cardio, and when it’s time to hit the weights I’m pretty much exhausted. But when there’s a little competition in the room all the exhaustion seems to disappear and Rocky Balboa is ready to lift. And the eye of the tiger song starts to play in my head.

I believe a little competition can be good for you. I walked into the gym wanting to give up before I even started and then I found out I had some competition and my whole outlook changed. And then leg day didn’t seem so bad… So maybe it’s time to start looking for a buddy who can train alongside you to push you and drive you to make you work just a little harder. My only advice before you start training with a friend is to be sure to set ground rules in the beginning. Make sure you have similar goals and that you haven’t chosen a chatter box to spend your treasured workout time with… Have an understanding that you’re there to work.

Happy Training!

No comments: