Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Meal Planning For The Busy Professional

Between work, exercise, relationships and everything else, who actually has the time to meal plan? Not many. But that's okay, because you have these tips to help you out.

Keep it simple. I don't know why, but people tend to think that once they start eating healthy they have to go to marthastewart.com and make steelhead trout with fennel, butternut squash, lima beans, and fennel-apple salad. (This is actually a meal at my favorite local restaurant, PAGO.) But you do not have to create these masterpieces! I usually try one new recipe a week and stick to simple dinners that take less than 30-minutes to cook. (Stay tuned for my "How to create meals that take 30 minutes or less"later this week!)

You could also try this Slow Cooker Turkey Breast. It only takes 10 minutes to prepare and it is absolutely delicious.

Plan once a week. There is no written rule that says you have to plan your meals every day. On Sunday before I grocery shop I doodle "Monday-Saturday" on a piece of paper and write my dinners for the week. Then I go through the fridge and pantry to see what I need to buy.

(If your spouse is responsible for making dinner, take a few seconds offer input of what you would like to eat for the week)

Eat the same thing a few times. Yep I said it. While I love to mix up my dinners every day I usually rotate between 3-4 meals for breakfast and lunch. When you are busy you don't always have time to create these impeccable dishes. Eat an omelette a few times per week, mix up the meat in your lunch wrap, and make sure to have some hummus and vegetables handy.

So there you have it. A few simple and easy-to-apply tips for the busy professional.


I hope these tips help you in some way!

No comments: