Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Butternut Boats


By: Coach Maria - Salus Nutritionist & Food Expert

Sometimes, the best meals comes from the fewest ingredients you have on hand. It's rare that this happens, but I had no idea what to prepare for lunch and my grocery shopping day had come and gone; leaving me with slim pickings in my refrigerator. I was hungry, but I wanted something that required little to no time and effort.


I took stock of my options:bacon, leftover roasted butternut squash, eggs.
What was created turned out to be one of the best meals I've had with such few ingredients. Plus, this easy meal was satiating enough to last me for hours!
Topped with a dollop of homemade pesto was the clincher!

Ingredients

serves 1
  • 1-2 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • half of a butternut squash, roasted*
  • 3 eggs
  • pesto (optional - but this really was incredible)
  • Scoop out three wells in your squash for each of the eggs (I save the squash meat and mix it in with all the eggs right before I devour it).
  • Crack each egg and dump into each well.
  • Bake @ 350 for 10-15 minutes (depending on your oven) or until eggs are set.
  • Remove from oven.
  • Sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
  • Top each egg with pesto
*I like having roasted squash on hand, but since they can take 45 minutes to an hour to bake, I will frequently pre-bake and keep a few roasted halves in my fridge for those what-can-I-eat moments.

No comments: