Thursday, February 23, 2012

Diabetes Testimonial

By:  Maria


Eating a diet full of real foods and avoiding processed foods can mean more for your health than simply losing weight or becoming lean, it can have life-altering effects as well.
Read on:

Our son, Brandon*, has type 1 diabetes. He was diagnosed when he was 3 and is currently on an insulin pump to help manage it. His numbers have always fluctuated, daily, anywhere from the teens all the way to the 500’s. We have always been told that this is completely normal, that as a kid this is to be expected and, most importantly, that there is nothing we can do about it. This has always frustrated us, as parents, because we know that there are major long term issues that can be caused in Brandon's body, due to high or low blood sugar numbers now.
Never have we been told by any of his 3 endocrinologists in 4 years that cutting out processed sugar or wheat would be something to consider to keep his blood sugar more tightly under control. I realize not every parent wants to do this, I’m sure we wouldn’t have wanted to do this a couple of years ago, but knowing what I know now (and that’s really not a lot) I very
much wish a doctor had at least mentioned this as an option to consider. Although this idea may seem out there to some (only eating natural sugars, not processed
sugar, and no
wheat!) it is an option to be considered to bring blood sugar numbers into the PERFECT range. Let me say that again.
The PERFECT range.
The numbers speak for themselves. Here are Brandon’s blood sugar numbers the 3 days before we started our real-food-only challenge: 214, 37, 117, 279, 411, 279, 36, 57, 26, 43, 139, 276, 235, 253, 53, 376, 411, 173, 124, 204.
Here are the PERFECT numbers he has had the last 3 days (They have been perfect actually the last 7 days): 108, 75, 120, 80, 72, 84, 73, 70, 113, 79, 78, 76, 146, 82, 154, 76, 119, 87, 125, 103, 107, 79, 98, 87.
I am blown away. I am overwhelmed. PERFECT numbers.
To know that I have found a way to make sure that Brandon’s body is being cared for in the absolute best way (just by cutting out food that isn’t good for anyone anyways) I feel like I can breathe easier. I am so thankful to God for the journey He has brought me on…and now my family… that we at the place to be receptive to all of this, and thriving in it. I am also extremely
thankful to have friends who have been kind enough to patiently share their wisdom and research with us. I know we wouldn’t be where we are today, without them.
So…..we continue on our 30 day real food challenge. We have already learned so much and I am fully expecting that we will be learning a whole lot more as we continue. I also expect that when I share these numbers with Brandon’s medical team, and explain how we got here, that they will be just as blown away as I am.
Thank you!

*Name has been changed for privacy

No comments: