Thursday, May 5, 2011

Heather's Xterra Triathlon!





I turned forty last week, and I wanted to do something big.  For years, I’ve been mountain biking and even mountain bike racing.  I’ve also done a few triathlons. My favorite races are Xterra triathlons.  An Xterra triathlon is a lake swim, followed by a mountain bike race and finishing with a trail run. I was thrilled when I searched on line and found the Xterra Western Championships were on the day of my birthday in Las Vegas. I began training seriously.  Twice a week, I attended a master’s swim class, twice a week, I took a spin class followed by treadmill running, once a week, I just hit the treadmill, and when the trails were dry, I took my mountain bike outside.  Going into the race, I knew it was a Western Championship, and that the top two women in the 40-44 year old category would earn an entry into the Xterra World Championships in Hawaii.  I admit I fantasized of finishing in the top two.  I also looked up the times of the previous years’ winners and knew that I had to finish the race in about three hours if I wanted to go to Hawaii.
The morning of the race it was cold. I got all set up, forgetting sunblock on my arms, put my wetsuit on my body and got in the water.  I began the swim and at first, I did okay.  I kept up with the middle of the pack of swimmers.  About half way through the 1500 meter swim, the cold started to overtake me.  I finished the swim, shivering I ran to the bike racks.  This transition from swim to bike has always been difficult for me.  This time it was exceptionally difficult because my body was shaking so much.  Eventually, I got on the bike, but my body didn’t feel like pedaling.  I rode for one mile from the lake to the dirt.  After about two miles, I realized I was happy that I pre-rode the course.  I knew where I had to get off my bike and push uphill.  About this time, a woman passed me with a “55” stamped on the back of her leg.  This was a like a smack in the face.  Who was I to feel sorry for myself at age forty, when this woman could still compete at age fifty-five?  I wanted to be just like her!!!
I finished my first lap and as I turned to make my second lap, a race official asked if I completed my first or second lap.  I was taken aback: the race officials were using the honor system!  I could have easily told this race official that I just finished my second lap.  Maybe I would have finished in the top two and earned a spot at the Hawaii world championships?  “No, I can’t do that” I thought.  Three words hit me: Honor, Pride, and Self –Respect.  I rode my second lap
The run was along many of the same dirt and rock trails I just rode on my bike.  One hill was so steep, that everyone hiked up it.  I continued to push myself, knowing that if I slowed down, she would have the opportunity to pass me.   In the last mile of the run, I was tired.  I knew I was far enough ahead of my other competitor that I walked a little.  Soon, I saw the finish line, and I ran into it feeling like I had emptied my tank of personal energy, but I was satisfied with my finish.  I stayed near the finish line to congratulate the woman I passed and give her some respect.  We were both wiped out!  Later, I went to a race official’s table and got my card that told me my placement in the race.  I finished eighth out of fourteen women and I got a new personal record on the run!

No comments: