Monday, April 28, 2014

Mocha Avocado Mousse



By Coach Maria - Salus Nutritionist & Food Expert

A variation of this recipe has been bouncing around food websites for some time.  It's been on my must-try list for way too long, but with SO many other recipes and food creations I also have on that list, I simply forgot about it.

Until, that is, I had some leftover avocados and wondered what I could do with them before they turned brown (which can happen before you know it!).

A quick "avocado" search on my list immediately brought up several ideas, this creamy temptation being one of them.

The one recipe I had, however, contained entirely too much added sugar for my taste and although most recipes are somewhat similar, I decided to omit one or two ingredients and replace with one or two other ingredients. 

First attempt was a terrible failure (it hurt to throw away such great avocados!).

Second attempt - about a month later, when I had leftover avocados - was better, but something was missing and the sweetness was off (but my 1 year old grandson devoured it, so I kept the recipe at least for him, since he still has not been exposed to any sweets and his palate is still neutral).

Third attempt - several weeks later when making the second attempt recipe for my grandson - was riddled with mistakes that I knew would probably be another waste.  Those mistakes proved to be the perfect combination and omissions of ingredients!

The avocados not only add nutrients (healthy fats!) that gives this recipe a healthier alternative to a traditional chocolate mousse, but they add an incredible creaminess that satisfies the palate. 

Top that with a good quality cocoa, and you will be eating in paradise!

Ingredients
serves 4-6

4 ripe avocados
9 soft medjool dates
2 Tblsp raw, unfiltered honey (or maple syrup)
2 Tblsp high quality unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)
2 Tblsp organic decaf coffee (optional)

Remove pit from avocados and place in food processor along with the rest of ingredients.  Blend until smooth and creamy.  Add additional cocoa to suit taste if desired.

Nutritional Information Per Serving:

Protein:   4g
Carbs:     39g
Fat:         17g
Sugar:     26g

Nutritional information are estimates and will vary






No comments: