Monday, November 12, 2012

No-Cheese Parmesan



By:  Coach Maria - Salus Nutritionist & Food Expert

I love a good salad and have spent some time trying all kinds of combinations with salad ingredients and dressings.  A few of the most delicious and satiating salads I've made take some time to prepare, which means I don't make them very often.

One of my favorites, however, is a simple Caesar salad.  It takes minimal ingredients, but the flavors are rich (especially when topped with some chicken hot off the grill!).

My nutrition of choice includes being dairy-free, so the Parmesan topping for the Caesar salad or any other meal that includes Parmesan, is out.

For the most part, I have omitted Parmesan without missing it; but there have been some meals that could truly use some type of "Parmesan cheese"!

After some trial and error, a bit of research and some creative thinking, I finally found a way to make a solid no-cheese Parmesan.  The flavor has the right amount of saltiness and the crunchiness satisfies the palate.

Sprinkle over your Caesar salad, asparagus or your favorite roasted vegetable.  Or, my favorite; coat chicken breasts, salmon or shrimp prior to cooking.  It's delicious!

Ingredients

1 c raw cashews or raw almonds (or a mix of both!)
1 garlic clove
1 tsp sea salt

Add ingredients to your food processor and pulse until you have coarse consistency.

No comments: