Thursday, September 20, 2012

Avocado Coleslaw

By:  Coach Maria - Salus Nutritionist & Food Expert

A smoked brisket was on the menu for dinner, but I needed a quick side dish that would utilize produce from my CSA.

I went to my fridge and took stock of contents. 

Cabbage...carrots...avocados... cilantro...onions...

Coleslaw typically contains mayonnaise, buttermilk or sour cream - depending on the recipe - and I wanted none of those ingredients in my slaw.  So, since I've used avocado to replace mayo in several recipes (like this one), I decided to try it with my slaw.

It turned out refreshingly delicious.  So good, in fact, that I will be using this as my topping the next time I make fish tacos!

Ingredients

4 cups chinese cabbage, shredded
1 cup carrots, shredded
1/4 cup red bell pepper, julienned
2 Tbsp red onion, minced (optional)
1 cup + 1 Tbsp. cilantro
1 avocado
juice of 1 lime
2 Tbsp olive oil
water to thin dressing if needed
salt, pepper to taste

Combine cabbage, carrots, red bell pepper, red onion and 1 Tbsp of minced cilantro. Set aside.
Combine remaining ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Add water as needed. Toss with cabbage mixture with dressing and let refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments: