Monday, November 7, 2011

Carnitas!

By:  Maria




Typically, Carnitas would be made with pork. However, I like this recipe using beef (grassfed beef is even better!), but using a lean pork roast works if that is what you prefer.

Ingredients
2-4lb. beef/pork roast
4 garlic cloves
1 fresh jalapeno pepper
1 bunch fresh cilantro
1 lg. bottle of beer (you can also just use a broth, but flavor will be different)
white corn tortillas
toppings for carnitas (tomatoes, olives, avocado)

Insert garlic cloves randomly into roast; place in crockpot with whole pepper and half a bunch of cilantro which has been chopped. Season to taste. Pour in beer(or broth). Cook on high 4-6 hours (if I'm going to be out of the house all day, I will use the low setting and cook for 8-10 hours). Remove meat; shred and place back into crockpot.
Serve with warmed/steamed tortillas and top with your choice of toppings. (my girls like theses topped with cheese, tomatoes, onions and I will also top with any homemade salsa I have on hand - like a fresh mango salsa - mmmm).

No comments: