Monday, July 18, 2011

Chocolate Coconut Bark

By:  Maria



So....you are keeping up with your fitness goals by working out weekly and consistently. You are also keeping up with your nutrition goals by eliminating processed foods and trying to eliminate or at least reduce sugar from your diet, right??  One of the struggles you seem to encounter is that dreaded sweet tooth - it causes you to cave into temptation by eating cookies, donuts or even chocolate!  It can literally undo all the nutrition progress you made in a week!

Unfortunately, there are consequences to falling into that trap and I don't have to explain what those consequences entail (suffice it to say that it can literally undo any nutrition progress made in one day!) .I have a great solution that will not only eliminate the guilt factor, but would you believe me when I tell you that you will not only enjoy the treat, but that there are some health benefits to the ingredients in the recipe?! Yep...you will thank me.

Before you sprint out the door to find these ingredients, take some time to read a recent post on the health benefits of coconut products here so you will understand why coconut products should be staples in your kitchen.

One more thing:

This recipe - although a better alternative to purchased chocolate bars or cookies - contains nearly 1250 calories! Moderation is key with these!

3-4 Tbsp organic coconut oil
1/4 cup organic cocoa 1/2 cups ground nuts (macadamia, almonds, hazelnuts)
3/4 cups dried unsweetened shredded coconut (I like to toast in oven first)
1 Tbsp raw, unprocessed honey (optional - I use dates in place of honey as well)

In a microwave, melt coconut oil.Add cocoa, nuts and shredded coconuts and mix well.
Form into a square by dumping into a small baking sheet and spread to about a 1/4" thickness.
Refrigerate or freeze until hard.
Break off into desired pieces.

Enjoy (and you're welcome)!

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Thank you soooo much for this chocolate recipe! I use coconut oil in my cooking, so I have everything I need to try this tonight. I have a sweet tooth in the evenings, and I find that I keep piecing until I get that little bit of sweet I am craving. I am hoping a little of this will do the trick.

Thanks again!

Maria said...

Peggy,
This will do the trick for the sweet tooth. Remember, a little bit will go a long way! Let me know how you like it.
:)